The colder temps outside always seem to spark the desire for a comforting, hearty meal. Sometimes it can be difficult to find recipes that are healthy, filling and tasty while not consuming your whole evening. We love this easy Chicken Burrito Bowl that is packed with protein and produce to help you feel fuller for longer. Additionally, this particular recipe makes 8-10 servings, so it’s a great option when trying to meal prep ahead of time for your week!
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 sliced bell peppers (any color)
1 large red onion, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp reduced sodium taco seasoning
½ cup salsa
1 can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
¾ can no salt added yellow corn
Salt and Pepper
Garnish: 1 lime cut into wedges, shredded cheese, cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the chicken, peppers, and onions on the baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Salt and pepper the peppers and onions, tossing to coat.
- Top each chicken breast with salsa.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Rest chicken for 10 minutes, before slicing into strips.
- Pull out 4 large containers (or 8-10 small containers) and place in each a scoop of black beans, corn, cooked peppers and onions, and sliced chicken. Garnish with fresh cilantro, a lime wedge, and shredded cheese. Enjoy!
About the Author
Amanda Peterson, RDN, LD | Molly Jones, RDN, LD
Amanda and Molly are the MUSC Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program Registered Dietitians. With 15+ years of experience combined, they facilitate behavior change through nutrition counseling for weight loss and maintenance with children through adults.