Check out this delicious recipe: Shrimp Cauliflower Fried Rice. This is the perfect protein-produce power meal! It’s packed with the summer vegetables we love, contains an excellent LEAN protein source (shrimp) and leaves out the staple ingredient in most fried rice meals: rice! This is important because rice does NOT provide much in terms of nutritional value and fullness, whereas cauliflower contains fiber making it more filling and more nutritious!
Ingredients (makes about 4 servings)
- 1 small cauliflower head, broken into florets (for a quick option, use a frozen bag of cauliflower rice – any brand)
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- Place cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse until broken into rice-sized pieces. Do not over-pulse. If using premade frozen cauliflower rice, defrost before preparing the dish.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or work over medium-high heat. Add in shrimp, garlic salt, and ginger powder, and stir-fry for about 2 minutes. The shrimp doesn’t have to be entirely cooked through at this point.
- Next, stir in the veggies and cauliflower rice and stir-fry for an additional 4 minutes, or until tender. Add low sodium soy sauce, and cook stirring constantly until most of the liquid has reduced; just a few minutes more
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds
Recipe adapted from Clean Food Crush Blog.
Amanda and Molly are the MUSC Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program Registered Dietitians. With 15+ years experience combined, they facilitate behavior change through nutrition counseling for weight loss and maintenance with children through adults.