Summer is just around the corner and that means picnics, cook-outs, barbeques, sunny beach days and vacations! Summertime is a great season to incorporate grilled proteins and fresh produce into our diets. We understand that the excitement and fun of summer sometimes makes it difficult to stick to our everyday routine. We wanted to share with you some tips on staying fresh and healthy this summer all while enjoying the fun summertime brings!
Spending a day at the beach? Pack a cooler with your healthful snacks! Some quick snacks to throw in the cooler are string cheese, yogurt, your favorite fruits or vegetables and dip. Need a quick and easy dip idea?
- Two ingredient ranch: One small container of non-fat greek yogurt + hidden valley ranch seasoning packet. Stir together and enjoy a protein packed ranch alternative!
- Three ingredient fruit dip: One small container of non-fat greek yogurt + spoonful peanut butter + cinnamon to taste. Stir ingredients together for a sweet protein fruit dip!
Headed to a cook-out or barbeque? Show off your cooking skills and bring your favorite, healthy prepared dish that you can eat and share with the group!
South Carolina heat can be brutal. Stay hydrated with a refreshing drink. Fruit and veggie infused water are good “mocktails” to sip on by the pool or beach. Try adding strawberry, lime, cucumber and mint to give your water a fresh flair!
On vacation and finding it difficult to eat how you do at home? Here’s a recap of our March newsletter with some tips to eat out at a restaurant mindfully!
- Think ahead and plan where you will eat.
- Think about your entire day. If you’re having a special dinner, eat lighter for breakfast and lunch.
- Stuck with fast food being your only option? Select the grilled option and ask for fresh fruit rather than French fries.
Stay refreshed and snack on fresh fruits. Summertime is a great time to get in-season produce. Some fruits in season during the summer months are: berries, cantaloupe, melons, grapes, peaches, nectarines and plums.
Fire up the grill! Try grilling some of your favorite lean proteins with herbs and spices (chicken, lean beef and fish). Pro-tip: Grill up fresh fruit like pineapple or watermelon and your favorite vegetables for a well-balanced summer meal! Some vegetables in season during the summer months are: okra, summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, radishes and eggplant.
Amanda and Molly are the MUSC Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program Registered Dietitians. With 15+ years experience combined, they facilitate behavior change through nutrition counseling for weight loss and maintenance with children through adults.
About the Author
Amanda Peterson, RDN, LD | Molly Mills, RDN, LD
Amanda and Molly are the MUSC Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program Registered Dietitians. With 15+ years of experience combined, they facilitate behavior change through nutrition counseling for weight loss and maintenance with children through adults.
Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery