Cobra Agency Sickle Cell Program

cobra sickle cell program logoOur mission is to serve the citizens of the South Carolina Lowcountry in becoming aware, informed, educated, tested by consent, counseled, supported and assisted to the extent of available resources. The Sickle Cell program will help patients and citizens make informed life-time choices regarding Sickle Cell disorders and their clinically significant variants. Meaningful research is supported where the overall health and welfare of patients are of high priority.

General Services

  • Public Awareness
  • Help patients sign in for services
  • Parent/Teacher consultations
  • Testing for trait & disease
  • Community Education Presentations
  • Empowerment assistance for affected and interested individuals
  • Counseling for individuals, parents, and couples
  • Emergency assistance based on need and available resources

Patient Empowerment Services Case Management

Case management is a collaborative process between the patients, Health care and human services providers. Together, a threefold approach is provided to the patient to ensure that the best Health care outcomes occur.

Any information provided to the COBRA Agency is considered private and confidential. This information will not be shared with any other entities without your expressed written permission. No financial information will be shared.

Contact COBRA Agency

James R. Clark Memorial Sickle Cell Foundation

JR Clark Sickle Cell Memorial LogoThe James R. Clark Memorial Sickle Cell Foundation is a non-profit United Way agency serving sickle cell clients and their families in 15 Midland and Upper South Carolina counties. The mission of the foundation is to optimize the social, psychological, and physiological well-being of individuals with sickle cell disease and to decrease the incidence of sickle cell disease through genetic screening, counseling, and education.

Newborn Screenings
By State Law, all babies are tested at birth for a variety of genetic traits and disorders, including sickle cell disease, sickle cell trait and their variants.

Genetic Screening and Counseling
Genetic screening involves a special blood test to identify persons possessing certain genotypes that:

  • Are already associated with some form of sickle cell disease or a predisposition to the disease; and
  • May lead to the passing of the disease to their children.

Hemoglobin is a protein in red blood cells which carries oxygen from the lungs to other parts of the body. People with “normal” hemoglobin have received two normal hemoglobin genes—one from each parent. However, people who inherit:

  • Gene for normal hemoglobin and 1 gene for sickle hemoglobin have sickle cell trait.
  • Genes for sickle hemoglobin have sickle cell disease.

When one parent has sickle cell trait and the other has normal hemoglobin, there is a 50percent chance that each of their children will have normal hemoglobin and a 50percent chance that each child will have sickle cell trait. When one parent has sickle cell disease and the other has normal hemoglobin, all of their children will have sickle cell trait. When both parents have sickle cell trait, there is a 25percent chance that each child will have normal hemoglobin, a 50percent chance that each child will have sickle cell trait, and a 25percent chance that each child will have sickle cell disease. When one parent has sickle cell trait and the other has sickle cell disease, there is a 50percent chance that each child will have the trait, and a 50percent chance that each child will have the disease. When both parents have sickle cell disease, all of their children will also have sickle cell disease. The only way to know for sure what genotype you are carrying is to be tested. The blood test and follow-up genetic counseling are provided free of charge by the Foundation, and the results are confidential.

Nurse Case Management
Nursing case management involves the coordination of services to ensure that persons with sickle cell disease and their families have timely access to services. The specific array of services provided by Foundation case managers includes, intake and assessment, service planning, information and referral, monitoring and follow-up. These services are provided by licensed nursing and social work personnel. 

Client, Professional and Community Education
The Foundation provides education information through health fairs, workshops, and seminars to the community at large, as well Health Education presentation in:

  • Elementary and High School class room settings
  • In service for Teachers and Nurses
  • Teacher-Parent consultation, i.e., IEP and 504 Plan
  • On-going resource for student and family living with Sickle Disease

The intent is to enhance the understanding of the group of related sickle cell disease so that sound prevention and intervention strategies and programs can be developed and implemented. Call the Foundation to schedule an educational program for your church, business, community or professional organization. 

Adult and Parent Support Group
The Foundation encourages and facilitates support group meetings for clients with sickle cell disease. The purpose of the support group is to provide an environment where clients, parents of children, and caregivers of persons with sickle cell disease can come together to share their concerns and identify and seek solutions to problems and issues they have that are related to this disease.

Little Wonders (Children) Support Group
God’s Little Wonders Club provides a positive outlet for children with sickle cell disease. Our primary goal is to be responsive to the specific needs and desires of children five through twelve (5-12) years of age. The group also strives to provide opportunities for parent/child bonding, enrichment and exposure to cultural, educational and recreational activities. The sessions have proven to be very successful in meeting the needs of those who participate.

Hospital Visitation
Through our in-house hospital and volunteer liaison, once a quarter per client, the Foundation provides visits to give encouragement, gift bags of toiletries and a description of benefits that are offered by the Foundation. 

Emergency Client Assistance  
The Foundation provides assistance with their electric bills, water bills, and transportation for doctor office visits and prescription medications pick-up. Clients must be actively enrolled in Nurse Case Management.

Back to School Bash
This event ensures that our clients will have the school supplies they need to begin a successful school year.

The Giving Tree
A Christmas project sponsored by the Foundation and Palmetto Health which serves children and their siblings who are affected by sickle cell. Children in Columbia and rural counties of South Carolina are given toys that are collected at Palmetto Health and surrounding schools and businesses in the area. Our goal is to collect 500 or more toys so that every child can receive three or more gifts

Contact James R. Clark Sickle Cell Disease Foundation:
Telephone: 803-765-9916
Fax: 803-799-6471

South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC)

DHEC logoDHEC's Sickle Cell Program helps people who have sickle cell disease pay for medical services, supplies, equipment and medications.

Eligibility Requirements

  • U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency
  • South Carolina residency
  • Household income at or below 250percent of the federal poverty level ($46,100 for family of four)
  • Physician diagnosed sickle cell disease or other congenital hemoglobinopathies.


  • Payment for outpatient medical services, supplies, equipment, and prescription medications related to treatment of sickle cell disease
  • Care coordination as needed
  • Nursing, nutrition, and/or social work consultation as needed (depending on regional resources)

Contact DHEC (for kids):

Email Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs Program at
CARELINE at 1-800-868-0404

How to Apply for the adult sickle cell program
Contact your nearest regional CSHCN office listed below:

Charleston Countey Health Department
3963 Whipper Barony Lane
North Charleston, SC 29405

Greenville County Health Department
200 University Ridge
Greenville, SC 29601  

Richland County Health Department
2000 Hampton Street
Columbia, SC 29204

Lancaster County Health Department
1833 Pageland Highway
Lancaster, SC 29720

Florence County Health Department
145 Cheves Street
Florence, SC 29506

Horry County Health Department
1931 Industrial Park
Conway, SC 29526

Charleston County Health Department
3 Charleston Center Drive
Charleston, SC 29403

Orangeburg County Health Department
1550 Carolina Avenue
Orangeburg, SC 29115

Additional Resources

James R. Clark Memorial Sickle Cell Foundation
1420 Gregg Street
Columbia, SC 29201

L.D. Barksdale Sickle Cell Anemia Foundation
645 South Church Street
Spartanburg, SC 29306

Orangeburg Area Sickle Cell Foundation
825 Summers Avenue
Orangeburg, SC 29115

COBRA Human Services Agency Sickle Cell Program
3962 Rivers Avenue
Charleston, SC 29405