The cardiac rehab program at MUSC Health’s Heart & Vascular Center is open to anyone who wants to improve heart health through supervised physical activity. Here, you can improve your fitness level while under the careful guidance of trained healthcare professionals.
Who Needs Cardiac Rehab?
Cardiac rehabilitation (cardiac rehab) is a crucial step in the recovery process following a cardiac event, such as a heart attack, valve surgery or heart transplant. Participation in this outpatient wellness program is equally important if you have:
- A heart condition, such as chronic heart failure or coronary heart disease.
- Heart disease risk factors, such as obesity and high blood pressure.
Cardiac Rehab at the MUSC Health Heart & Vascular Center: Why Choose Us?
The cardiac rehab program at MUSC Health is one of the most established and extensive programs in South Carolina.
When you participate in our cardiac rehab program, you benefit from:
- Personalized Rehab Plan: Your specially trained cardiac rehab team includes a medical director, exercise physiologists, registered nurses, and respiratory therapists. This team collaborates with your heart doctor to develop a health and wellness plan tailored to your specific needs and limitations.
- Care for Everyone: We offer cardiac rehab services for high-risk patients, such as those who have had heart transplants or heart support devices like ventricular assist devices (VADs). Even if you do not need treatment for heart disease, we can get you started on an exercise program to lower your risks for future problems.
- Convenience: If you receive heart care at the Heart & Vascular Center, our team will start you on the first phase of cardiac rehab during your hospital recovery. Continuing with the program is seamless and fast because your doctor’s referral is already part of your electronic hospital discharge record.
- Access to Pulmonary Rehabilitation: We also offer pulmonary rehabilitation for people who have chronic lung disease (with or without heart problems).
Cardiac Rehab Program Offerings
Cardiac rehab program offerings at MUSC Health include:
- A physical fitness program that uses cardio machines, such as treadmills and stationary bikes, to help you gradually build endurance and cardiovascular functioning.
- A strength training program to help you build stamina and power.
- Counseling and education to help you live healthier. Our services include programs that focus on healthy eating, weight loss, smoking cessation, and methods for coping with depression, anger and stress.
- Personalized education plans to give you a better understanding about your diagnosis, treatments, and risk factors.
We are conveniently located at 122 Bee Street, Suite 201. You can park for free at the adjacent garage and walk right into our facility.