The Medical Center Paid Time Off (PTO) policy provides eligible employees flexibility in scheduling PTO from work for vacation, holidays, personal business, preventive health and dental care, and short-term sick leave for family needs.
The policy also includes a supplemental Extended Sick Leave (ESL) plan to provide income protection for eligible employees during prolonged periods of personal illness or disability.
The summary below outlines key elements of the PTO Policy. If you have questions regarding PTO or other related issues, please contact the Benefits Section of the Medical Center Human Resources Office at 843-792-9320.
Paid Time Off (PTO) / Extended Sick Leave (ESL)
- Employees who occupy regular (“permanent”) positions and work a minimum of 20 hours per week are eligible to accrue leave.
- Employees' accrual rates are based upon years of service and budgeted number of hours worked.
- PTO and ESL are accrued on a biweekly basis, 26 times a year.
- Employees can carry over Paid Time Off (PTO) and Extended Sick Leave (ESL) each calendar year.
- ESL may be accessed after required PTO usage except in situations resulting in hospitalization or inpatient or outpatient surgery/procedures.
- PTO may be used for designated holidays.
- PTO cash-in is available.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
Other Time Off
- Education Time
- Bereavement Time
- Jury Duty
- Blood Donation
- Organ/Tissue Donation
- Maternity Leave
- Military Leave