Bridging the Gap
Do you frequently find yourself interpreting for friends and family? Would you like to put your bilingual skills to use?
The Bridging the Gap Medical Interpreter Training Program prepares individuals to become successful medical interpreters. This language-neutral course, taught in English, is open to speakers of all languages. Prior experience in the medical and/or interpreting fields is not required!
Students will learn the necessary skills to become a qualified medical interpreter by participating in group activities, gaining practice interpreting from day-one onward, and through the instruction and insight of our experienced trainers.
Bridging the Gap is for you if you are:
- Fluent in English and one other language (does not have to be Spanish)
- Interested in medical interpreting
- Able to complete the 40-hour training
- Age 18 or older
- Have a high school diploma or GED
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Identify barriers to effective communication in interpreted sessions.
- Describe the roles of the interpreter.
- Identify the common values found in the code of ethics for health care interpreters.
- Develop and implement techniques for facilitating a successful interpreting session.
- Identify various common diseases and treatments associated with each body system.
A minimum of six participants will be required to run a class. Classes will be capped at 21 participants.
2020 Session Dates
Session Dates (3 consecutive Fridays and Saturdays)
April 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25
October 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24
Time: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day
Registration Deadline: One week prior to the first day of class
The total cost for the training is $675 dollars ($150 for two listening and speaking fluency exams and $525 for the course). Call 843-792-9055 for details on how to schedule and pay for your fluency exams. You will not be registered for the class until full payment has been made.