The VIP allows you to volunteer your language skills to MUSC Health. The population we serve is very diverse and comes from a wide range of countries in the world; most of them are not fluent in English.
- Candidates must be a highly motivated individuals who has the ability to multitask, good prioritization skills, time management skills, and organizational skills.
- Must respect patient confidentiality at all times
- Fulfill a minimum of 100 volunteer hours per year
- Candidates must hold national certification either through the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters or the National Board of Certified Medical Interpreters
- We are looking for the following languages: Spanish, Mandarin, and Portuguese
What will I be doing?
Under the direct supervision of the interpreter services coordinator, the volunteer interpreter will provide interpreting services to patients who are unable to communicate in English. As an integral member of the medical team the volunteer interpreter will provide linguistic support in favor of the successful daily operations of the program. This will include the following points:
- Attend all assigned encounters with punctuality, respect, and professional demeanor.
- Demonstrate flexibility when last minute changes or emergencies affect the schedule.
- Adhere to the standards, ethics, and professional rules of healthcare interpreters.
- Report any problems, conflicts, or needs (personal or patient driven) to the Interpreter Services Coordinator for swift and effective resolution.