MUSC Health Affiliation Network
To honor MUSC Health’s mission of preserving and optimizing human life in South Carolina and beyond through education, research and patient care, the vision for the MUSC Health Affiliation Network states:
We extend MUSC Health’s mission through the establishment of meaningful relationships locally, regionally and globally.
Benefits of Partnering with MUSC
MUSC provides health care organizations with opportunities to better serve their local communities and keep care in South Carolina, including:
- Support in the continual enhancement of clinical care and supplemental services for the community
- Assurance of continuity of care for patients that require tertiary or quaternary services
- VIP expedited access to hospitals, clinics, and health care providers throughout MUSC Health
- Greater leverage for contract negotiations and purchasing agreements (participation in a GPO)
- Guidance to enhance programmatic growth and operations
- Utilization of cobranding to leverage the recognition and reputation of MUSC within your community
- Access to educational and graduate medical education (GME) opportunities
- Support with physician and provider recruitment
- Support for population health initiatives including clinically integrated networks (CIN), ACOs, etc.
- Physician-to-physician relationships
- Access to electronic health record resources, including MUSC’s Epic CareLink platform
Key Tenets of the Affiliation Network
- Health care is best provided locally. To ensure this is possible, we will work with Affiliates to capitalize on their strengths and grow their clinical capabilities.
- For care that cannot be provided locally, we commit to timely patient access and timely, personal communication with referring physicians, supported by technology where appropriate.
- Physician-to-physician relationships are essential to any affiliate relationship. They will be prioritized through regular communication and collaboration.
- Affiliate relationships will be coordinated by a dedicated relationship manager. Integrated Centers of Clinical Excellence (ICCE) Chiefs (MUSC’s physician service line leaders) will be accountable for the delivery of all clinical services.
- Affiliation agreements will contain clearly defined benefits and requirements to ensure that alignment and accountability are equally owned by both parties.
About MUSC Health
The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) is dedicated to the pursuit of changing what’s possible in health care. Nationally recognized for its innovation, patient- and family-centered care, and quality outcomes, this integrated health care system is accessible through a robust health system network, clinical affiliations and a nationally recognized telehealth network. MUSC experiences more than one million patient encounters annually, and its specialized care teams consistently rank among the best in the country. MUSC delivers transformational care shaped by world-class clinicians, health scientists, and educators who provide leading-edge care while developing the next generation of innovative health care leaders.
MUSC at a Glance
- South Carolina's only comprehensive academic medical center
- Over 16,000 team members
- $2.6 billion annual operating budget
- Oldest medical school in the south; founded in 1824
- Six colleges with 3,000 students in all areas of health professions. Colleges include Dental Medicine, Graduate Studies, Health Professions, Medicine, Nursing, and Pharmacy
- Member of the prestigious National Institutes of Health (NIH) Consortium, which includes only the 60 best biomedical research institutions in the U.S.
- South Carolina’s most comprehensive clinical enterprise offerings:
- 1,428-bed health system and 100 outreach locations
- 1+ million patient encounters per year
- One of only two National Centers for Excellence in Telehealth in the United States
- Hollings Cancer Center, one of only 70-National Cancer Institute NCI-Designated Cancer Centers in the U.S.
- South Carolina’s only solid organ transplant program (kidney, liver, heart)
- Extracorporeal Life Support Center
- SC’s only nationally ranked children’s hospital; that will open two new facilities in 2019
- MUSC surgeons perform nearly 10,000 pediatric surgeries annually
- Only pediatric Level 1 trauma center in the state; 25,000 visits annually to the emergency room
- South Carolina’s only Pediatric Burn Center
- Advanced pediatric heart center with a 99%survival rate for complex surgeries