The MUSC Center for Telehealth is one of two federally recognized National Telehealth Centers of Excellence (COE) as awarded by the Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA), an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. MUSC was awarded this national designation because of the Center for Telehealth's successful telehealth programs with a high annual volume of telehealth visits, substantial service to rural and medically underserved populations through telehealth, and its financially sustainable telehealth models.
The role of the Center of Excellence is to fill important gaps in the national telehealth landscape through a combination of ongoing regional and national collaborations, as well as proactive dissemination of telehealth resources. The main areas of research focus during the project period include:
• The impact of telehealth on federal and local healthcare spending
• Provider and patient engagement in telehealth
• Development of open access telehealth networks
• Telehealth as a model for implementation of best clinical practices
• Behavioral health-focused telehealth programs
• Telehealth modalities for primary care (i.e. developing a “Primary Care Telehealth Menu”)
Core Administrative Team:
• Dee Ford, M.D., MSCR, COE Project Director
• Katie Cristaldi, M.D., MHS, COE Co-Project Director
• Jimmy McElligott, M.D., Center for Telehealth Executive Medical Director
• Shawn Valenta, RRT, MHA, Center for Telehealth Administrator
• Ryan Kruis, MSW, LISW-CP, COE Manager
• Monica Baczko, MPA, COE Research Coordinator
• Courtney Fetchen, COE Program Assistant
In addition to this team, the COE includes key research personnel from across the university and its clinical health system, all with a compelling track record of telehealth program development and health science research.
- Telehealth Service Implementation Model (T-SIM©): A Framework for Telehealth Service Development, Implementation, and Sustainability (PDF)
- Defining and Deploying an Open-Access Telehealth Network in South Carolina (PDF)
- Primary Care Telehealth Modalities (PDF)
- Adapting an Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) for Effective Telehealth Service Management (PDF) (Valenta & Harvey. Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMMS). February 13, 2019)
- Implementing a Structured Framework for Enterprise Adoption of Telehealth Service Development and Delivery (PDF) (Valenta, Harvey, & Ford. American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE). March 4, 2019)
If you are interested in learning more about the MUSC Center of Excellence or would like to schedule a consultation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.