MUSC Health has one of the nation’s largest and most experienced teams of neuroscience specialists. Our distinction as South Carolina’s only academic medical center means our doctors offer the most advanced treatments for people with nervous system disorders.
To learn more about MUSC Health’s Neuroscience Services or to schedule an appointment, please call 843-792-1414.
Neuroscience Services at MUSC Health: Why Choose Us?
Quality patient-centered care is our top priority. When you come to MUSC Health for neuroscience services you benefit from:
Depth of Experience
- Exceptional Results: We treat more patients with nervous system problems than any other medical center in the state. Providing care for such a high volume of patients has led to outstanding patient outcomes.
- All Levels of Care: We are experts at treating a range of neurological problems, from the routine to the complex. Doctors from across the country refer patients with challenging and difficult cases to us.
- Expertise: Each of our doctors has a specialized area of expertise, including in neurology, neurosurgery, neuroradiology, and neurovascular surgery. These specialists use our neuroscience telehealth programs to help other doctors statewide diagnose problems and provide appropriate patient care. Meet our team.
- The Latest Therapies: Our internationally recognized neurology experts receive substantial research funding from the National Institutes of Health. We often have access to treatment options before other specialists in the area. Should you decide to join a clinical trial at MUSC Health, you may benefit from novel therapies not available elsewhere. Learn more about clinical trials and research at MUSC Health.
- Rehabilitation Services: Occupational and physical therapists in our neurological rehabilitation program customize treatment plans to help you maintain the highest level of function and independence in daily activities.
Whether you need diagnostic services or treatment, are staying overnight or just here for a day, at MUSC Health you receive care in sophisticated facilities featuring the latest technology.
These resources include:
- Fully accredited neurophysiology lab for diagnosing a wide variety of neurological conditions. Diagnostic tests include electroencelphalography (EEG), electromyography (EMG), intraoperative monitoring (IOM), and neurovascular studies.
- Around-the-clock critical care of patients with neurological disorders in the neuroscience intensive care unit (NSICU).
- Inpatient epilepsy monitoring unit with the latest digital monitoring and video capabilities for definitive diagnosis and treatment
- The first Comprehensive Stroke Center in South Carolina, we provide patients with a dedicated hospital wing and a full spectrum of resources, including diagnosis, treatment, recovery, and prevention
- Biplane angiography suites for rapid diagnosis and treatment of neurological problems including strokes and brain aneurysms
- Specialized neuroscience nursing team committed to meeting the unique needs of people with neurological issues
Care that Focuses on You
- Personalized Treatment: Our goal is to heal you and improve your quality of life. Our experts work collaboratively to develop effective treatment plans based on your unique health needs.
- Convenience: We can often schedule all of your appointments with specialists on the same day. We also have convenient clinic locations throughout the region.
- Guest Services: If needed, our guest relations associates can help with travel, dining and hotel accommodations to make your time in Charleston more pleasant. Learn more about guest services.
Our Mission & Vision
We are dedicated to providing superior, comprehensive and innovative patient care and access for all neurological and head and neck disorders.
We are committed to being a global leader in high quality, innovative, academic Health care for all neurology, neurosurgery and otolaryngology patients.
Our Neuroscience Services
Our Brain and Spine Tumor Program provides the highest level of neuro-oncology care. Our specialists are supported by sophisticated facilities, leading technology and breakthrough research.
MUSC Health has the only level 4 (highest designation) epilepsy center in South Carolina. Our specialists work together in leading-edge facilities designed specifically for the needs of people with epilepsy.
We have one of the nation’s largest teams of top stroke and cerebrovascular specialists. Our specialists boast one of the fastest times in the country for treating strokes and restoring blood flow to the brain.
MUSC Health is one of 300 centers worldwide with Gamma Knife radiosurgery expertise. We are experts in advanced noninvasive surgery for brain tumors, vascular malformations, functional disorders, and other abnormalities of the head and neck.
Our doctors are experts at treating all types of head pain, including migraines, cluster headaches and tension headaches. Our comprehensive treatment program includes medication management, lifestyle and dietary changes, Botox injections and surgery.
Our memory disorder specialists use advanced diagnostic tests to identify potential causes of memory loss. We provide expert, compassionate care for people with dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and other cognitive problems.
MUSC Health has the only comprehensive movement disorders program in South Carolina. Our specialists were the first in the state to offer deep brain stimulation for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders.
Our team of experts helps people with multiple sclerosis achieve maximum independence via medication therapies, rehabilitative services and clinical trials.
Clinical Neuropsychology is a specialty profession that focuses on how behavior and skills are related to brain structures and systems.
The neurophysiology lab at MUSC Health features the latest technology. Our patients undergo comprehensive diagnostic testing in a comfortable setting.
We have the largest and most experienced team of medical and surgical experts in skull base surgery in the Southeast region. We are first in the nation for the repair of cerebrospinal fluid links and perform a large number of hearing-preservation surgeries for acoustic neuromas (benign inner ear tumors).
We use the latest technologies and medical breakthroughs to treat people who have common conditions like herniated discs, neck pain and lower back pain, to those with more complex problems including spinal tumors, scoliosis and fractures.
MUSC Health has one of the nation's largest teams of top specialists in neurology, neurosurgery, neurovascular intervention, neuroradiation, and neuro-psychiatry.
Meet our Neurosciences Care Teams by Specialty:
- Brain & Spine Tumor Program
- Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
- Comprehensive Stroke Center
- Gamma Knife Center
- Head Pain Program
- Memory Disorders Clinic
- Movement Disorders Clinic
- Multiple Sclerosis Clinic
- Neuromuscular Services
- Neurophysiology Lab
- Skull Base Center
- Spine Center