The Pulmonary Hypertension Program at MUSC Health offers a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach to patients with pulmonary vascular disease.
Pulmonary hypertension is a complex health problem that is due to high blood pressure within the lungs, which can then lead to heart failure. Frequently patients with pulmonary hypertension are not recognized until they have advanced disease because early symptoms can be confused with those of many other conditions. A higher awareness, earlier diagnosis and development of a comprehensive treatment plan can improve quality of life and prognosis in this life-threatening condition.
Our Pulmonary Hypertension Services
- Transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography
- Comprehensive diagnostic radiology (V/Q, CT, MRI, angiography)
- Comprehensive pulmonary function testing
- Cardiac catheterization (with vasoreactivity and exercise testing)
- Coordinated referrals to cardiology, rheumatology, infectious disease, hepatology, and/or hematology
- Oral, inhalational, subcutaneous and intravenous therapies
- Patient/care giver support group
- Educational materials
- Dedicated pulmonary hypertension nurse
- Dedicated Pharm.D.
Our Care Team
More Care Team Members
Kristine Ritenour, BSN, RN, CNRN, SCRN | Pulmonary Hypertension Nurse Coordinator
Kim Egbert, RN, MSN