MUSC Medical Center supports a patient and family-centered approach to care and recognizes that open visitation plays an important role in a patient’s healing and recovery. We support the presence and participation of the families and other partners in care while our MUSC Health Care team members safely and compassionately care for patients.
- On arrival, visitors should check in at the information desk to obtain a visitor pass
- Hospitalized patients will be asked to identify a small number of primary support people, who are considered to be the patient’s family. Primary support persons are those who normally provide a patient with significant physical, psychological, or emotional support. Support people/family will generally be able to visit any time during their hospital stay (24 hours a day 7 days a week).
- Children may visit with patients in the Medical Center. Visits by children under the age of 12, however, should be coordinated with the patient’s healthcare team and the patient’s spokesperson. Children must be accompanied by an adult other than the patient at all times. Children visiting are not permitted to say overnight in the Medical Center.
- Overnight visitation should be discussed with the patient’s nurse. The adult patient may choose one adult guest to spend the night in the patient room. Exceptions must be reviewed by the hospital supervisor or nurse manager. The Children’s Hospital welcomes both parents and/or guardian of the patient to spend the night in the child’s room (some units may have additional guidelines).
- We encourage you to leave all valuables at home and only bring essential items to the hospital.
- Please feel free to refer to the Family and Visitor Rights and Responsibilities.
- To better serve you, team members at the information desks throughout the Medical Center can answer any questions you may have.
The following ATM machines are conveniently located throughout our hospitals
Bank of America
SC Federal Credit Union
Free Guest Internet Access
MUSC provides free wireless internet access for patients and visitors at the Medical Center campus in downtown Charleston. This service is provided on an as-is basis, and is supported on all wireless devices with standards-based web browsers. This includes Windows laptops, Macs, Linux and iPhones.
To connect to the network:
- Open your wireless network utility and join the muscguest network.
- Once you connect, open your browser.
- The MUSC Guest Wireless Network page will display. You are now connected to the internet.
This network is the property of The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) and may be accessed only by authorized guests of MUSC.
Unauthorized use of this network is strictly prohibited and subject to criminal prosecution.
The data you send and receive over this network is not encrypted and may be viewed or intercepted by others. Use this network at your own risk. Privacy and security safeguards are the user's responsibility; this network does not provide any. MUSC does not warrant or represent that this service will be uninterrupted, error-free, or secure. Users should be aware that there are security, privacy, and confidentiality risks inherent in wireless communications and technology.
The University may monitor any activity or retrieve any information transmitted through this network, to ensure compliance with MUSC policy, and with federal, state and local law. By accessing and using this network, you are consenting to such monitoring and information retrieval by MUSC. Users should have no general expectation of privacy or confidentiality when using this network.
Safety Escort Program
The Medical University Department of Public Safety is committed to ensuring a safe environment for all students, employees and visitors at the University. To encourage personal safety, the campus escort service program was initiated. It provides personal safety escorts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
This service is designed to provide escorts around the University Campus and the surrounding area, normally within two blocks. Special requests will be honored on a case-by-case basis. Any escort beyond the two-block area must be approved by the campus commander or the shift supervisor.
You will need to be able to get in and out of a vehicle on your own power.
We are unable to provide escorts for wheelchair bound individuals. If someone is unable to get in and out of the vehicle, we can refer you to other assistance. Please understand that space is limited, and equipment cannot be transported in our vehicles.
The escort program, staffed by our patrol officers, serves the entire Medical University community. Calls for an escort are dispatched immediately; however, if you experience a delay in response time, it may be due to a high volume of calls for service.
This program utilizes Foot, Bicycle, and Vehicle Patrol Officers.
State law requires any child 4 years of age or under must be secured properly in a child restraint system. If you do not have a child seat, one will be provided by Public Safety.
This program is designed to provide a service to all students, employees, visitors, and customers of the Medical University. Please take advantage of this service.
To access the escort service, call 843-792-2261 and provide the following information to the dispatcher:
- Your Name
- Current Location
- Baggage (if any)
- Physical description of yourself
We are here to provide for your safety. We can only do this successfully if you help. Don’t put yourself in a situation that can lead to a bad outcome. Our escort program helps you avoid becoming a victim of crime. Help us to help you.