Some lung problems make it hard to breathe, while others make daily activities nearly impossible. Experts at MUSC Health offer an exceptionally high level of expertise in South Carolina to help you get the best possible care. With nationally recognized programs and expertise, we work to help you regain a sense of normalcy so you can live life on your own terms.
Why Choose Us?
Our lung and sleep experts are part of MUSC Health’s Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy, and Sleep Medicine program. The division consistently achieves U.S. News & World Report’s “high-performing” designation, meaning we rank among the top 25 percent of pulmonary programs in the country.
We combine expertise with tested and proven technologies to accurately diagnose common problems, such as asthma and sleep apnea. Treatments include new medications and access to clinical trials. We also offer deep experience treating complex lung problems, such as cystic fibrosis, and our lung transplant program has an established track record of exceptional results.
Specialized Programs & Services
Our specialized programs and services maximize lung functioning while lowering your risk for complications.
Specialized programs and services include:
- Asthma & Allergy Care: Our experts are board-certified, meaning they passed rigorous exams after medical school. Most doctors have also completed advanced training (fellowships) in allergy care. We also offer the complete range of diagnostic tests, including sophisticated pulmonary function testing for asthma. Find out more about asthma and allergy care.
- Inpatient Consultation: If you are hospitalized at MUSC Health for another medical condition and develop a lung or breathing problem, our lung experts help you get the care you need – any time of the day or night.
- Pulmonary Hypertension Program: Our expertise helps catch early signs of the disease so you can start treatments before symptoms become more serious. Read more about our pulmonary hypertension program.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation: We help people with ongoing lung problems, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), maximize their independence. Therapies include strength training and special breathing techniques that require less energy. Read more about pulmonary rehabilitation.
- Sleep Disorder Diagnosis & Treatment: We offer complete care for adults and children, including testing in sophisticated sleep labs. We also provide ongoing assistance with nighttime breathing devices. Learn more about our sleep disorders program.
Expertise for Rare & Complex Lung Disorders
MUSC Health offers some of the Lowcountry’s strongest expertise in caring for rare and complex lung problems. Even when other treatments have not succeeded, our team may offer hope for healing. Patients seek us out from all over the Southeast because of our successful track record helping people breathe easier.
Rare and complex conditions we treat include:
- Cystic Fibrosis (CF): MUSC Health offers the only adult CF program in South Carolina accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, meaning you have access to the latest care. Our experts come together to recommend treatments, such as medications and nutrition therapy, to meet your unique needs. Read more about cystic fibrosis.
- Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD) & Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF): We deliver an accurate diagnosis and expert care, including access to the latest treatments through clinical trials. Read more about interstitial lung disease and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
- Lung Cancer: Our program brings together specialists including interventional pulmonologists and cancer experts with deep experience in lung cancer. Working side by side, we deliver care designed to meet your individual needs. Learn more about our lung and thoracic cancer program.
- Rare Lung Diseases: MUSC Health is at the forefront of care for rare lung diseases. We lead national research efforts that are pushing boundaries for conditions such as alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. Find out more about our rare lung disease clinic.
- Sarcoidosis: MUSC Health is home to a world-renowned center dedicated to meeting the unique needs of people with sarcoidosis. This condition causes inflammation in multiple organ systems, including the lungs. Our team, which includes cardiologists and dermatologists, has deep expertise in diagnosing and treating the most challenging forms of the disease. Learn more about exceptional care for sarcoidosis.
Life-Saving Care for Lung Disease & Other Advanced Medical Problems
At MUSC Health, our expertise in caring for the most complex injuries and illnesses is one reason why doctors and patients from all over South Carolina put their trust in our programs.
Our specialized care for life-threatening illness includes:
- Critical Care: Our nationally recognized critical care program provides specialized services, including life support for people with life-threatening illness or injuries. We deliver sophisticated therapies such as extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), which takes over the work of the lungs in people who cannot breathe on their own. Read more about critical care.
- Interventional Pulmonology: Our program is one of few in South Carolina capable of treating complex airway problems. For example, we can help you breathe better if a lung cancer growth (tumor) is blocking the airway.
- Lung Transplant: MUSC Health is home to the only lung transplant program in South Carolina. We offer hope for people living with advanced lung disease. Find out more about our lung transplant program.