Skip to content
Coronavirus Updates & Hospital Visitor Policy
Prostate Cancer Care
What to Know About Prostate Cancer
- Second most common male cancer and a leading cause of death in men
- A major concern for men ages 40 to 60, despite advances in diagnosis and treatment
- Early diagnosis and treatment dramatically improves outcomes
- Attacks one in six men, but fatal in just 3 percent of cases, thanks to effective diagnosis and treatment
- Significant cause of death for elderly patients
Prostate Cancer Care at MUSC Health
- Multidisciplinary team: Urology, medical oncology, radiation oncology, radiology, interventional radiology, pathology.
- Weekly conference to discuss each new case.
- Most advanced diagnostic and staging capabilities for both localized and metastatic disease imaging.
- Genitourinary fellowship-trained pathologist who reviews all prostate biopsies obtained at MUSC and many from across the state.
- Among the most experienced centers in the nation in staging and identifying early advanced disease — essential for effective multi-modality therapy.
- South Carolina’s only medical center offering all four types of prostatectomy — robotic, laparoscopic, perineal, and retropubic.
- The latest radiotherapeutics techniques and national and regional clinical trials: MUSC Hollings Cancer Center is the state’s only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center.