Whether it’s skin cancer or a scar that limits the way you move, MUSC Health offers uncommon expertise. Our doctors are among the most respected dermatologic surgeons in the country, drawing people from across South Carolina and beyond.
Internationally Recognized Dermatologic Surgery Program
For some skin conditions, surgery is the best option. At MUSC Health, you are in very capable hands. Our team includes highly skilled, nationally recognized surgeons. We help you get the best possible care while preserving your appearance.
Highlights of our program include:
- Expertise: We are among the most experienced skin cancer surgery programs in the country. Doctors and patients put their trust in our capabilities, which includes exceptional care for common problems along with complex facial repairs and reconstructive surgery. We can frequently treat problems described as inoperable by other doctors.
- Nationally Recognized: Our team includes one of the most experienced Mohs surgeons in the country. Mohs surgery is an innovative technique for removing skin cancer while sparing healthy tissue. Our experience from performing 4,000 procedures per year means safe, effective care for any skin cancer diagnosis.
- Leaders in the Field: Our surgeons push new boundaries in dermatologic surgery through research and leadership. Doctors across the world recognize our capabilities in reconstructive procedures following Mohs surgery. Locally, we lead a prestigious fellowship program that trains the next generation of dermatologic surgeons.
- Coordinated Care: A strength of our program is that we can easily coordinate with other medical disciplines at MUSC Health, providing you access to any specialist you may need. For skin cancer near the eyelids, for example, your care may include treatments from a nationally recognized eye (oculoplastic) surgeon. Find out more about oculoplastic and reconstructive surgery.
World-Class Mohs Surgery
Our surgeons have completed specialized training (fellowships) in Mohs micrographic surgery. This technique is the gold standard of care for skin cancer that requires tissue-sparing surgery. Mohs allows us to remove cancer with an extremely high success rate, giving you the best chance at becoming cancer-free.
We offer extensive expertise for any skin cancer diagnosis, including:
- Basal Cell Carcinoma
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Reconstruction after Mohs Surgery
Our senior Mohs surgeon is nationally and internationally recognized as an expert in reconstructive surgery following skin cancer removal. Most patients can complete their skin cancer removal and surgical reconstruction in the same day.
Other Surgical Dermatology Services
In addition to skin cancer surgery, our dermatologic surgeons are experienced in other surgical procedures of the skin.
Our services include:
- Scar Revision: We minimize the appearance of scars using a variety of techniques that may include injections, laser treatments or a surgical procedure.
- Lesion (abnormal lump or sore) Removal: We remove a wide variety of cancerous and benign (noncancerous) lesions. Our expertise in reconstructive surgery helps minimize the appearance of scars.
- Laser Treatment: We use lasers to treat many skin conditions, including birthmarks, red or brown spots, unwanted tattoos and more.
- Microdermabrasion: We use special technology to gently remove the uppermost layer of dead skin cells. This treatment makes it easier for skincare products to reach deep layers of the skin.
Additional Cosmetic Dermatology Services
Our team also includes doctors who specialize in cosmetic dermatology and offer a complete range of services, including wrinkle relaxers, laser skin treatments and the latest technology to address unwanted areas of fat. Find out more about our cosmetic dermatology.