At the MUSC Health Storm Eye Institute, you have access to dedicated experts in every aspect of eye health. You won’t find another eye care team in South Carolina with specialists in eye cancer, glaucoma and corneal disease under one roof. Our program draws people from across South Carolina and surrounding areas.
Specialized Care at Storm Eye Institute
The complex structures in your eyes require specialized care, which you’ll find at MUSC Health. We offer deep expertise in treating both common and complex eye problems.
Highlights of our program include:
- Focus on Quality of Life: We minimize the impact of serious eye problems on your everyday life. Our oculoplastic surgeons improve eye function and help you achieve your best appearance with advanced treatments. Find out more about our oculoplastic and reconstructive surgery.
- Innovative Treatments: When new and effective techniques become available we often quickly adopt them. We were the first program in South Carolina offering LASIK vision correction surgery, for example. Read more about our LASIK surgery.
- Comprehensive Care for Adults: Even if you think your eyes are healthy, the only way to know for sure is with consistent eye care. Our services include testing your vision and examining the structures inside your eye. We also diagnose and treat common eye problems, including cataracts. Read more about our comprehensive eye care.
- Specialized Services for Children: MUSC Health is home to doctors who specialize in pediatric eye. Whether your child is flagged for additional testing after a routine eye exam or shows signs of a more serious problem such as cataracts, we can help. Learn more about our pediatric ophthalmology.
Conditions We Treat
We offer expert care and treatment for any condition affecting the eye and nearby tissue, including:
- Cataracts: Cataracts develop when the normally clear lens of the eye becomes cloudy. We help restore clear vision using the latest replacement lenses. Find out more about cataracts.
- Cornea Problems: Sometimes injuries or another medical problem affect your eye’s outer protective layer (cornea). Our expertise helps you get the best treatment right from the start. Find out more about corneal disease.
- Eye Cancer: Storm Eye is the only program in South Carolina with an expert team dedicated to treating cancers affecting the eye. We offer the complete range of treatments, including chemotherapy injections and laser surgery. Find out more about eye cancer.
- Glaucoma: Glaucoma happens when fluid builds up in the front part of the eye, putting pressure on the optic nerve. We offer a level of expertise that sets Storm Eye Institute apart in the Lowcountry. Many ophthalmologists refer complex cases to our program. Find out more about glaucoma.
- Retina and Vitreous Humor: These complex structures in the back of the eye require a level of expertise you’ll only find in top programs such as Storm Eye. We accurately diagnose problems and tailor treatments to preserve your eyesight. Find out more about care for retina and vitreous humor conditions.