Vascular disease affects the arteries and veins that carry blood to and from your heart. Left untreated, this damage can cause heart attacks, strokes, and other life-threatening problems.
The vascular disease experts at MUSC Health’s Heart & Vascular Center expertly perform a full range of procedures to treat vascular disease. Our treatment options range from minimally invasive approaches to endovascular and open surgeries.
Vascular Disease Care at The MUSC Health Heart & Vascular Center: Why Choose Us?
At MUSC Health, we provide both the expertise and the technology to quickly and effectively diagnose and treat vascular problems.
When you come to us for vascular disease care, you benefit from:
- Minimally Invasive Procedures: Our vascular team has deep expertise in performing minimally invasive procedures that speed your recovery and result in less pain and infection risk. We were the first in the state to offer minimally invasive abdominal aortic stent grafts for aortic aneurysms.
- The Latest Treatments: Our standing as the state’s only medical research institution allows us to offer you the best available treatments for vascular disease, including newly approved stents and grafts.
- Advanced Care for Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD): Peripheral artery disease restricts blood flow to your organs and limbs. Many people do not know they have PAD until they have a stroke or a ruptured aneurysm. Our $99 Peripheral Artery Disease Screenings can detect the condition, allowing you to make lifestyle modifications and begin treatment quickly.
- Teamwork: Our vascular disease specialists work jointly with experts from our Aortic Center to provide you with the highest level of care. This team develops a treatment plan tailored to your unique heart structure and vascular condition. We keep your referring physician up-to-date on your health status.
- State-of-the-Art Technology: After getting a fast, accurate diagnosis in our advanced imaging center, you may undergo treatment in our dedicated hybrid operating room. Here, surgical teams perform both catheter and surgical procedures.
- Convenient Care: We make it easy for you to take care of your health needs by scheduling procedures and consultations in one day. The Heart & Vascular Center located at Ashley River Tower has all of the services you need in one easy-to-access location.
Treatments for Vascular Disease at The Heart & Vascular Center
Vascular disease treatments at MUSC Health include:
- Angioplasty: Your doctor guides a balloon-tipped catheter (thin tube) through an artery in your arm or leg. At the blocked or narrowed portion, your doctor inflates the balloon to open the passage. Your doctor then deflates and removes the balloon catheter.
- Stenting: During angioplasty, your doctor may choose to place a small wire mesh tube called a stent into the newly opened artery or vein. This stent remains in place permanently to keep the artery open. Covered stents are called stent grafts.
- Carotid Artery Surgery (Endarterectomy): Your doctor removes built-up plaque from the carotid artery via an incision in the neck.
- Peripheral Laser Atherectomy: Your doctor uses a catheter (thin tube) with a laser on the end to destroy plaque that has built up inside of a blood vessel. Your doctor may use this treatment if you have peripheral artery disease (PAD).
- Thrombolytic Therapy: Your doctor administers medications to dissolve blood clots that are blocking major arteries or veins. This treatment is best for conditions like heart attacks, strokes, and deep vein thrombosis.
Additional Treatments for Vascular Disease
- Coronary artery bypass
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Aortic valve replacement and repair
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair
- Fenestrated endovascular repair (FEVAR)
- Branched aortic endograft
Need more information on vascular conditions, tests or treatments? Visit the Society for Vascular Surgery's Patient Resources.