To provide excellent, diverse, and necessary recreation therapy services in the treatment of Institute of Psychiatry patients in collaboration with other IOP disciplines along with partners both within MUSC and in the community.
As part of the Central Inpatient Program Service, Recreation Therapy provides treatment services throughout the Institute of Psychiatry. This diverse array of services address the psychiatric problems bringing patients into the hospital through symptom reduction, education on healthy lifestyle, development of coping skills, and psychosocial support.
Services are provided in the following inpatient areas: adult, senior, adolescent, and child. Additionally, recreation therapy services are also provided in the Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs (CDAP) intensive outpatient program.
The programs provided throughout the Institute of Psychiatry include the following:
- Leisure education
- Group problem solving
- Relaxation training
- Creative expression
- Stress management
- Therapeutic gardening
- Animal assisted therapy
- Self esteem
- Anger control
- Thinking and feeling
- Relapse prevention
Staff are all certified by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification.
- Holly-Ann Boyle, CTRS. Recreation therapist 2N (youth unit)
- Lauren La Valle, CTRS. Recreation therapist 4N (adult unit) and 3N (adult unit); Central Inpatient Program Service (CIPS), adult
- Lauren Porter, CTRS. Recreation therapist Senior Care Unit
- Bob Raynor, MS, CTRS, FDRT. Recreation therapist 4N (Addictions and Acute Care units); CIPS, adult; CDAP day intensive outpatient program
- Anna Kate Eskew, CTRS. Recreation therapist Senior Care Unit
Recreation therapy takes places in group rooms throughout the IOP, and on the units. The following are other spaces where these services take place.
- Institute of Psychiatry Park
- Therapy gardens
- Activity room
- Fitness room
- 219 Recreation Therapy room
- Institute of Psychiatry Auditorium