The following classes and groups are available for weight loss surgery and bariatric treatment patients, family, and friends.
Ashley River Tower (ART) 1st Floor Auditorium, Room 1119
25 Courtenay Drive
Charleston, SC 29401
You may park in any MUSC visitor lot and we will validate your parking. You are still responsible for the first $3. We do not validate valet parking (which is $10).
Monthly Support Group
The MUSC Bariatric Surgery Program's support group is offered the 3rd Tuesday of each month from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Support group is optional, but highly encouraged. It is a great place to find connection, community, and support from other people going through a similar experience. Support group can help you learn what to expect after surgery, learn about healthy eating patterns and cope with lifelong behavior change.
Our group is open to those considering surgery, post-op patients, as well as family and friends supporting the patient undergoing bariatric surgery. We are open to have patients who have had surgery elsewhere attend our group.
The format alternates between an open forum and a facilitated discussion with a credentialed health care provider. Topics include nutrition, psychology, exercise, plastic surgery, and more. There is always time for social interaction and questions.
- January 15 - Resolution: A Healthier New Year
- February 19 - Weight Acceptance after Weight Loss Surgery
- March 19 - Open Forum & Hot Topics
- April 16 - Open Forum & Hot Topics
- May 21 -Supporting the Supporter
- June 18 -Tooth be Told: Dental Considerations after Bariatric Surgery
- July 16 - Plastic Surgery
- August 20 - Let's talk about intimacy after weight loss surgery
- September 17 - Open Forum - What do you want? How can we help you get the most out of Support Group?
- October 15 - Debating the utility of Technology in weight management
- November 19 - There's an App for That with MUSC Psychologist
- December 17 - Holiday Group