Headache disorders, such as migraines, tension headaches, and cluster headaches, are one of the most common nervous system disorders. If severe head pain is interfering with your ability to enjoy life, our experts can help.
MUSC Health’s head pain specialists are fellowship trained, meaning they have advanced training in diagnosing and treating neurological disorders and head pain. We find the pain relief solution that works for you so you can enjoy life.
Head Pain Services at MUSC Health: Why Choose Us?
When you come to MUSC Health for head pain treatment, you benefit from:
- Advanced Diagnostic Services: Pinpointing the underlying causes of head pain can be challenging. At MUSC Health, our doctors use advanced technology to screen for neurological problems that may be causing your distress, so we can get you the treatment you need.
- Care for Complex Cases: Many people experience more than one type of head pain. Our doctors are experts at determining the headache types, zeroing in on causes, and developing treatment plans that provide relief.
- Comprehensive Treatment: MUSC Health offers more head pain treatment options, including surgery for migraine sufferers, than any other medical center in South Carolina. Our team works with you to customize a treatment plan that addresses your unique pain problems.
- Teamwork: At our Head Pain Clinic, you receive care from a team of experts. In addition to neurology experts, team members may include ophthalmologists, plastic surgeons, otolaryngologists (ear, nose, and throat specialists), and dietitians. Meet your team.
- Innovative Therapies: As the state’s only academic medical center, our doctors actively participate in clinical trials and research. We are dedicated to finding better treatments for head pain. Talk to your doctor to find out if you are eligible for a clinical trial.
- Convenience: In addition to our main campus in downtown Charleston, we also provide care for people with head pain at our regional clinics in Mount Pleasant and West Ashley.
Head Pain Therapies at MUSC Health
Because everyone experiences head pain differently, we offer a multitude of treatment options. We are a state leader in head pain care.
Head pain therapies at MUSC Health include:
- Migraine Surgery: MUSC Health is the only medical center in South Carolina performing migraine surgery. During this procedure, your doctor releases pressure placed on nerves linked to migraine pain. Learn more about migraine surgery.
- Medications: Headache medicines taken at the onset of a migraine to lessen the pain are called rescue or abortive medications. Preventive medications taken daily can reduce head pain frequency and severity.
- Botox®: Your doctor injects Botox into migraine-trigger areas on your head and neck every 12 weeks. The botulinum toxins in Botox temporarily relax muscles, alleviating pressure on nerves that cause head pain.
- Dietary Changes: Certain foods, such as caffeinated beverages and cheese, can trigger head pain. Our specially trained dietitians work with you to identify food sensitivities and help you modify your diet.
- Lifestyle Changes: Our experts help you make changes, such as improving sleep habits and managing stress, to reduce head pain.
- Complementary Therapies: Your doctor may recommend biofeedback or certain vitamin supplements, such as magnesium oxide. Biofeedback teaches you how to control internal processes, such as your heart rate, blood pressure, and muscle tension, in order to relieve head pain.
To learn more about the Head Pain Clinic at MUSC Health or to schedule an appointment, please call 843-792-3223.