For more than 25 years, MUSC Health has served as the only solid organ transplant center in South Carolina. Each year, our talented surgical team performs hundreds of organ transplants to increase patients’ longevity and quality of life.
The Transplant Center is proud to serve both adult and pediatric patients. We offer complete care for patients undergoing many types of solid organ transplant, including heart, lung, kidney, liver, and pancreas.
As South Carolina’s only heart transplant center, we offer shorter transplant wait times, quicker hospital recoveries and excellent transplant success rates.
Kidney transplant surgeons at MUSC Health have extensive experience, performing hundreds of kidney transplants each year with exceptional results.
We’ve helped more than 1,000 patients achieve greater health through liver transplant, providing excellent care through evaluation, surgery and follow-up.
Transplant Center specialists are helping people with advanced lung disease gain better health and wellness with our progressive lung transplant techniques.
Our expert surgeons offer simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplant for certain people living with insulin-dependent diabetes and kidney failure.
MUSC Health’s pancreas transplant specialists use decades of experience to help you achieve greater health.
Why Choose MUSC Health for Organ Transplant?
Patients at the Transplant Center enjoy the family feel of a small-town hospital while receiving world-class treatment before, during and after transplant surgery. We’re committed to providing exceptional care throughout the entire organ transplant process. At MUSC Health, you’ll benefit from our:
- Clinical expertise: Our surgeons trained at some of the most prestigious medical schools and centers in the nation, and they all have certification from the American Society of Transplant Surgeons. Many have earned national recognition for their clinical expertise and contributions to the field of organ transplant surgery. Our surgeons’ clinical knowledge and skill help us provide the best possible care for our patients.
- Excellent surgical outcomes: Our surgical outcomes and patient survival rates meet or exceed national averages for each of our transplant service lines. Many factors contribute to our outstanding results, including our team approach to care, short recovery times, and constant access to expert medical knowledge and advice.
- Care for the smallest patients: A heart, kidney or liver transplant may be the best treatment option for children born with certain medical conditions or disorders. The health care providers at MUSC Children’s Health are specially equipped to care for kids of all ages before, during, and after organ transplant. Our goal is to get kids back to doing what they do best – being kids.
- Living Donor Program: Donating a kidney is a powerful, selfless act. Our Living Donor Program offers an opportunity for qualified individuals to give the ultimate gift – the gift of life – to a person who desperately needs it. Receiving a kidney from a living donor can significantly shorten the waiting period for some patients. Also, patients benefit from organs that work immediately and last longer than organs from deceased donors.
- Advances in research: We’re one of the largest clinical trial enrollment centers in the nation, which means you have access to the latest treatment options. Our clinicians lead cutting-edge research that continues to advance the field of transplant medicine. They are currently working on more than 20 organ transplant clinical trials and research initiatives to improve the transplant process and surgical outcomes, and develop new medications and other therapies.
- Multidisciplinary care approach: Health care providers from multiple disciplines work seamlessly to provide you with education, resources, and personalized care throughout your transplant journey. In addition to your doctors and surgeons, talented individuals from nursing, social work, psychology, behavioral health, and other specialties will provide you with the support you need.
For more information about MUSC Health’s Transplant Center, including scheduling appointments or reaching our Transplant Coordinator, please contact us at 800-277-8687.
We welcome patients from across South Carolina and the nation as they begin their transplant journey. If you would like to refer a patient to the Transplant Center, please visit our Referring Physicians page for more information.